Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mailbag: Shoot me, please (preferably in focus)

Dear wise and trusty Grape,

It seems as though you've worked with plenty of wonderful photographers during your time. You're always advising reporters to respect and treat them well, which I agree with 100%. However, as a reporter who takes pride in not only treating all my colleagues with respect, but going the "extra mile" to carry around tripods, bags; etc. I STILL find myself feeling as though I'm working against the photographers, rather than in conjunction with them.

This is a common complaint from reporters here.

The photographers are all older, complacent, lacking creative drive and all seem bitter for the most part. It's as though their only concern is getting through the day and merely getting the job done. Meanwhile, I work hard to ensure I'm presenting stories in a way that will SHOW our viewers why they should care, why the stories matter.

For example, I asked one photographer to make sure he got shots and Nat Sound that I planned to use, and instead of complying, he griped at me about how he was getting ready to make a call and smoke a cigarette instead. He actually got angry because I politely asked him to do his job.

Or, worse yet, they'll do their best to convince me not to do a stand-up... and Lord forbid I ask them to put the slightest bit of creative effort into shooting a live shot or tease.

I'm lucky if I get one Nat "pop" in my packages. Which they'll then brag about sarcastically if they manage to use any I script.

I'm not sure how common it is for me to be asking myself, "Where the heck am I, and how soon can I get out of here?" during my first gig in the business... but it's becoming a hazard to my overall health. LITERALLY. I ask myself that question multiple times every day.

Help!

Dragging photogs along like a ball and chain is taking its toll. How can I grow and become better, when the very people I'm suppose to consider teammates are presenting themselves as enemies?

Thanks,

Desperately Working to get OUT


Dear Desperate,

You're right, I've had the pleasure of working with lots of great photogs. I'll bet 95 percent were truly dedicated and took great pride in their work.

But I did work at one station at which only one photog really cared. Naturally the reporters all fought to work with him. The rest of the crew couldn't be bothered with tripods or anything creative. They were punching a clock and considered a camera a piece of equipment rather than an artist's palette. My appeals to the Chief and ND went nowhere. I moved on. Interesting... I have many tapes filled with my stories, but not a single one from that place.

Most times that attitude filters down from the Chief. So that where you should start, since obviously treating these guys nicely isn't getting you anywhere.

But here's the key... make sure you don't have the attitude that your current station is beneath you, or that it is a stepping stone. Sometimes older news people resent younger ones in their first jobs who are obviously headed onward and upward. Your chief request should be that you want to do quality work, not that you need better material for a resume tape. You might invite the Chief to dinner and chat in a relaxed atmosphere. Nothing frosts a Chief more than a rookie coming forward to complain about his shooters. Have the attitude that you're young, want to learn, and need the help of the veteran photogs... who know a lot more than you do... and you might make your case.

Also, don't tell a photog to get shots you need. Ask politely. While you're at it, ask for the photog's input on the story. Make him part of your team.

If that doesn't work, move on to the ND with the same approach.

But to start, bring a box of donuts to work and leave them in the photog lounge. Buy the cold sodas and coffee. That will generally take the edge of your relationship.

No comments: